From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 18:35:03 +0000
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>For years, the only Magnard I'd heard was the old Ansermet version of #3
>which I still find more satisfying than the Plasson, although if I were in
>the habit of wearing a hat, I'd take it off to Plasson for his advocacy of
>French music in general.

I have now listened to Plasson's version of symphony no2.  The second CD
I've heard in the series.

It sounds fine to me with excellent sound quality.  I could not imagine a
stronger advocate for these works.

Symphony 2 inhabits a world similar to the later symphonies of Sibelius.
Though, as I said before Magnard is his own man.

The first movement is one of the type that seems to jump in half way
through but this is something one gets used to.

There has been a lot of talk of zero and mono emotion on this list.  My
feeling is that Magnard's works are multi emotional but the emotions are
often fleeting and gently portrayed.

>I agree with Don that these are very rewarding symphonies and I regret
>that Magnard, as another senseless casualty of war, did not have the
>chance to compose more.

Is there anything else besides the symphonies that anyone has heard?

Bob Draper