From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:43:06 -0800
I agree with your appraisal of the Octet; it's one of my favorite pieces
of music of any kind.  However, I'd like to quote from a fascinating book
called Music, the Brain, and Ecstacy, by Robert Jourdain.  In a section
beginning on P 158, he discusses the various musical prodigies, beginning
with Mozart.  He points out that Mozart was such a phenomenon as a child
that it's really no surprise that he went on to become one of the greatest
composers, since he was so obviously brimming with talent.  Then he asks
why so few other prodigies fulfilled their early promise.  St.  Saens
showed even greater early talent, yet thru his 86 years, he produced only
a few certifiably great pieces; he then talks about history's greatest
musical disappointment based on his early promise:  Mendelssohn.  He refers
to the Octet and MSND, and then his successful career as a conductor but
only as a second-tier composer.  Even Mendelssohn said, shortly before his
death at 38, that his two favorite compositions were the aforementioined
pair.  So he didn't fulfil his promise.  Rossini was another prodigy who
ran out of steam.  Any thoughts, other nominations?

Dave Wolf