From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:51:35 -0400
Folks, I've just finished listening to Duos for violin & cello, BIS-CD-916,
Oleh Krysa (violin) and Torleif Thedeen (cello).  It's a delightful disc,
beautifully performed and recorded.  It contains duets by Ravel (Sonate
pour violon et violoncelle), Martinu (Duo no 1 pour violon et violoncelle),
Honegger (Sonatine pour violon et violoncelle) and, some one, in my less
than extensive knowledge, that I haven't heard of:  Erwin Schulhoff (Duo
pour violon et violoncelle).

I found this description:  "Czech composer and pianist, who studied with
Reger and became an exponent of quarter-tone music.  Composed a setting of
the original Communist Manifesto of 1848.  As a Jew, was arrested and died
in a Nazi concentration camp."

To my ears, Schulhoff's duo rightfully deserves a place on this disc along
with the other more famous composers.  So much so that I felt more of shock
finding out about how he died than I usually would.  Reading the above
reminded me of the horror of the Holocaust.

Is anyone familiar with his work, and who could give me some
recommendations of recordings?  Thanks, as always.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, NJ, USA