From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:54:10 +0000
Janos Gereben writes:

>Pina Bausch's "Cafe Muller," to Purcell's "The Fairy Queen" is certainly
>a "classy" opening for a movie. When I saw "Hable con ella" again, I
>realized how much more it is than a kind of intellectual special effect:
>it is an integral, significant part of the whole work.

Yes, indeed - wholeheartedly seconded, as is Janos's praise of a richly
satisfying and absorbing film.

The Bausch / Purcell opening had me in tears within two minutes, especially
as the director had selected the heart-rending performance of "Oh let
me weep" by Jennifer Vyvyan, accompanied by the Boyd Neel Orchestra under
Anthony Lewis.

This classic 1950's L'Oiseau Lyre version is not, so far as I know (?)
available on CD, so maybe it was specially transferred for the film. I
think a CD burning session may be coming on ....

Christopher Webber,  Blackheath, London,  UK.
http://www.nashwan.demon.co.uk/zarzuela.htm
"ZARZUELA!"