From:
Jeffrey James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:36:04 -0400
Dear Friends, I'm writing to the list because I had the privilege of
representing Meyer Kupferman for the last 12 years of his life.  It's
been wonderful to see the comments about his work and was especially
pleased to see Eric Goldberg's recent posting.

Meyer was a kind and generous man who left many, many friends and admirers.
I was very fortunate to know him outside the workplace as well.

One of the best concerts I've ever attended was the memorial for him
at St. Peter's Church at Citicorp Center in Manhattan.  The stellar
array of performers that performed included guitarist William Anderson,
clarinetists Stanley Drucker and Naomi Drucker, violinist Mary Findley,
basset hornist Paul Gallo, mezzo soprano Barbara Hardgrave, pianist
Kazuko Hayami, flutist Laurel Ann Maurer, clarinetist Charles Neidich
and pianist Christopher Vassiliades.  All of these superb virtuosos were
closely associated with performances and recordings of Meyer's music.
It was an afternoon of strong emotion, strong music making and a real
sense of this marvelous man and his music always being with us.

During his lifetime, his music was performed and recorded by such
American orchestras as the Louisville Orchestra, Hudson Valley Philharmonic,
American Composers Orchestra, Pro Arte Orchestra of Boston and Kansas
City Philharmonic.  Internationally, his work was performed and recorded
by, among others, the Lithuanian National Symphony, Orquesta de Baja
California of Mexico, Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte Carlo, the Czech
National Symphony Orchestra, The Vienna State Opera Orchestra, Moscow
Symphony Orchestra, Japan Philharmonic, New Philharmonia Orchestra,
Stuttgart Philharmonia and Royal Philharmonic.

You might be interested in interviews with him at Sequenza 21 -
http://www.sequenza21.com/meyer.html and International Composer -
http://www.jamesarts.com/internationalcomposer/kupferman.html.

His complete catalogue is online at both
http://www.classicalcds.net/soundspells/index.html and
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?label_id=1119&bcorder=6&LabelAll=1.

If you'd like to hear some of his music, I'd suggest starting with
Soundspells CD 111 - Orchestral Music, Volume 1 and one of his last 2
CD sets - CD133 - http://www.jamesarts.com/releases/april02/MK_041202.htm,
CD134 - http://www.jamesarts.com/releases/march03/MK_032103.htm or
http://www.jamesarts.com/releases/sept03/MK_092503.htm.  These give a
good overview of the range of his ideas and even feature some of his
paintings as cover art.  Challenger (with the Jazz Symphony - CD104)
and the disk of piano music (CD115) are also fine suggestions.

If you have any questions about Meyer Kupferman's music, please feel
free to contact me at 516-797-9166 or [log in to unmask]

Many thanks.

Jeffrey James
Website: http://www.jamesarts.com