From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:01:39 -0500
It seems to me that we often don't give much credit to those who have
written program notes for the records we all love so much.  That thought
crossed my mind just a few minutes ago when I read these remarkable words
written by R.D. Darrell.

It just seems wonderful to me how he speaks to the expression in the
music.

Writing about the Chopin Fantasie, Op.49

   "But no analysis except that of understanding hearing can unlock
   the secret of the alchemistical genius who gives living voice
   to the human heart and imagination...and who creates for that
   voice a language and a rhetoric of matchless eloquence.  It is
   rare even in the highest art of any medium that materials of
   such pathos and nobility are allowed to evolve so freely and so
   dramtically into their own, individual and incomparable, form."

Karl