From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:49:38 -0500
I don't know about this one.

Life goes on.  If (at some time in history) the only soprano who could
sing a role was a fat one, then by all means we should engage her for
the job.  But this is the 21st century; presumably there are dozens of
sopranos who can sing, act, *and* fit the costumes.

In all fairness, I think the male singers should be held to the same
standards.

On the other hand, I think work must certainly be found for
costume-challenged former opera stars.  It is a quandary.  What can they
do, other than sing?

Arch