From:
Daniel Paul Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:43:41 -0600
Mitch Friedfeld asks, irony intended:

>Should the Chicago SO be doing a Haydn symphony?

Of course they should.  It would do the orchestra and their audiences lots
of good.  In fact, I was in the audience a few weeks ago when they offered
the Sinfonia Concertante for oboe, bassoon, violin, cello and orchestra,
with a quartet of first-rate soloists from the CSO itself, all conducted
by Ingo Metzmacher.  The result may not have been the utmost in HIP, but
on a program including works by Ives, Beethoven and K. A. Hartmann, it
was by far the most persuasive and delightful performance of the evening.
I'd gladly return to Symphony Center for more.

Daniel Paul Horn