From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 02:07:05 +0100
Bob Draper wrote:

>Also maybe I move in the wrong circles, but I find that those that
>dislike Mozart's music and believe him overrated outnumber his supporters
>by two to one.

The orchestra in Barcelona (www.obc.es) once did an audience survey of
what composers the public liked best and wanted to see programmed more by
the orchestra.  By a huge margin Mozart topped the list.  Even the artistic
directors were surprised by the enormous desire to hear more Mozart, and
in response the orchestra started a Mozart Festival with orchestra and
chambermusic concerts that are immensely popular.

David Runnion
Mallorca

 [Ah, but of course none of this is due to an actual interest in Mozart's
 second-rate music.  It all results from massive marketing efforts and
 the evil promotion of Mozart as God by the classical music establishment
 (whomever they might be).  If listeners could think for themselves,
 the world would be rife with Haydn Festivals and Mostly-Haydn Concerts
 and we wouldn't be wasting program or shelf space on that poseur Mozart.
 Yeah, that's the ticket.  -Dave]