From:
Edgar Beach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:21:09 -0400
This afternoon, my local radio station broadcast a rather spirited
performance of Miklos Rosza's music for "The Red House".  While I listen
to a good deal of film music, I only know that the musical score of a film
must follow the images that appear on the screen.  This of course, when
played from beginning to end, gives it a most variable structure.  Because
of this, film music can best be appreciated while viewing and listening to
the actual film, IMO.  I am wondering, have the composers and/or arrangers
ever taken a film score and retructured it in symphonic or sonata form,
thereby allowing it to stand on its own.  If so, do you agree with such
restructuring and are there any recordings of such music you can recommend?
Thank you for your help?

Ed Beach