From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 08:38:47 +1100
I notice that Danacord has released the four symphonies of Victor Bendix
(1851-1926).  Grove tells me he was taught by Gade and JPE Hartmann, both
of whose symphonies I like.  The last two symphonies, however, in the
opinion of the writer of the article, "suffer from a badly integrated
mixture of styles derived on the one hand from Gade and on the other from
Liszt and Wagner" - I can sense the ears trembling in Albuquerque as I
type!

Last year I bought symphonies by Hamerik and by Gernsheim without
really knowing what to expect, and was more than glad to have made their
acquaintance.  Bendix sounds a little worrying and Danacord is not the
easiest - or cheapest - of labels to get.  AFAIK, he's not been recorded
before, but as soon as I say that, I know that someone will quote an
ancient LP on some highly obscure label to prove me wrong.  I wonder if any
lister who travels the less-frequented byways of music has any firsthand
knowledge of Bendix's symphonies.

Richard Pennycuick