From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 19:48:48 +0100
Is my brain not in order, or is it possible I hear what I think I hear: A
touch of oriental tunes in Mahler 4? (I don't hear much orientalism in "das
Lied von der Erde").  Could anyone verify or reject Mahler took interest in
orientalism at the time for his 4th symphony?

Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>:

>And speaking of George Szell, I was listening to a rather foppy recording of
>Weill's "Seven Deadly Sins" on the radio last night and though "This needs a
>more driving and focused conductor like George Szell." Does anybody know if
>Szell ever conducted/recorded any Weill?

I have not the slightest fishing idea, but I want to recommend the
Fassbaender/Garben "Sieben Todesuenden".  I liked this very much, and the
chansones it is coupled with are brieftaking too!  What do others think?
I'd be curious to know...

Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]> says:

>I have always been lukewarm regarding Bernstein's Mahler

Why so? Do you want to elaborate a little on this.  I am asking as I
wonder if you mean only Mahler 4 or all Bernstein-Mahler.  If the latter
I don't agree, for example I think the 1st symphony one of the very best,
especially the first movement.  A little treble in sound perhaps, but very
good playing.  I would be interested to hear what yu don't like about
Bernsteins Mahler.  maybe this vcan give me new ideas...

>I know you want a reply now but I shall be dealing with Mahler's Fourth
>very soon in my continuing Mahler recordings survey:

This site is great Mr.Duggan!

Mats Norrman