From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:07:52 -0800
Roy Ellefsen asks:

>Kosman's article reminded me that I have been wanting to get a recording
>of this famous Elgar piece, which, incidentally, I have never heard
>performed, for some time now.  Can someone out there recommend a good
>recording. Price matters, but is not to the exclusion of quality.

I have been enjoying the Hickox performance on Chandos just too much
lately, both "Gerontius" and esp. his "Apostles."  Glorious music.

And I can't get the chord progression out of my head that accompanies the
climax, "Proclaim unto them...." (Towards the finale of Part I of "The
Apostles.")  The organ pedal notes roaring away at this point is thrilling.

You will find an embarrassment of riches here!

Thank you Mr. Elgar.

John Smyth