From:
William Jenks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:37:48 -0500
Why is the routine standing ovation after a live performance any more
"offensive" than people saying "fine" every time you ask how they are,
regardless of their condition?  It seems to me it has just become habit
and people think they are being polite.  Besides, most people like to
think they have gotten something good after they've invested their time
and money in it.

Lighten up guys!  The only harm in routine standing ovations I see is
that the occasionally-too-snotty members of the audience might have to
shout a few loud "woo-hoos!" to let the rest of us plebes know if it was
really good.

(BTW, this seems to be to be no different than performers in other genres
that have built-in, always-performed encores...I try not to feel insulted
by more music if I don't think they were up to snuff for the first
part...)

Tongue firmly in cheek,
William