From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:38:24 -0600
Dave Lampson wrote:

>I have noticed that some recent CDs include a catalog number for the
>works of Villa-Lobos.  They are designated by a "W." but I can't find
>any info relating to this catalog numbering system.  The New Grove lists
>"S.  Wright: 'Villa-Lobos: the Formation of his Style' Soundings (1979-80)"
>in the bibliography.  My guess is that this may be the same person who
>put together the thematic catalog.  Can anyone elucidate?

Elucidate, no, speculate, yes.  As far as I know, the best published
listing of the works of Villa Lobos was done by David Appleby.  David
taught, as I recall, at Texas Christian University.  He donated his
scores to our University.  His bio bibliography was published by Greewood
Press.  I believe some places use his numbering but use the prefix A.1
A.2 etc.  The Greenwood usually use W.1, W.2 etc.  for all of their
publications.  David also did a biography of VLobos which was published
by Scarecrow press.

If I find out more, I will pass it along.

Karl