From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:44:56 +0000
I am asking for some thoughts from members on the list about a discussion
that has emerged on a web blog I belong to.  It deals with the issue of
chanting versus regular concertised music.  The person who is writing
is coming from a religious viewpoint and is obviously a convert to
orthodoxy.  Please bear with the listing of the URLS and I hope that
those interested would read them because the discussion is so thought
provoking.  But the orignal comment that me involved was:

   "Part of the difference is between chant and western music of
   the Baroque period and later.  Put as simply as possible, chant
   focuses on the text, and it puts the melody at the service of
   the text.  Western music since Bach puts the emphasis on the
   music itself, to the extent that words are made to fit melodies...
   [snip]...  Chant is much more like speaking musically than it
   is like singing a melody - although clearly melodic singing is
   still involved.."

For those interested: you can find the orignal post here:

   http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?journal=arkouda&itemid=59483

along with my comments.

This generated a reply from the orginal poster here:

   http://blog.kevinbasil.com/archives/m/200210#127

I would just like some input on what is going on here...  and I appreciate
any opinions on this.

Thanks!

"Kim Patrick Clow" <[log in to unmask]>