From:
Jane Erb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:56:26 -0700
Dave Lampson wrote:

>A linguist at the BBC whose job it is to research pronunciations has
>contact me (of all people!!) asking how to pronounce the last name of
>Frederick Stock, the conductor of the Chicago Symphony from 1905 to 1942.

Well, Dave, you remember that I live with Gairt Mauerhoff, the owner/manager
(until he left Ann Arbor in 1978) of the highly successful Liberty Music
Shop in Ann Arbor.  Gairt is German-born, and he well recalls radio
performances of the CSO with Stock.  He calls him Stock.

And why not you? Look at your resources!

Best,
Jane