From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:24:30 PST
Susan Juhl wrote of the Shostakovich 24 Preludes & Fugues:

>My question: what do you think of Ashkenazy's performance in respect
>to that of Tatiana Nikolayeva?  And then, which performance of hers?
>the '87 on Melodiya or the Hyperion CDs.

I find a great deal of mystery, bleakness, regret, etc.  in these pieces.
Some others don't see it that way.  Given my perspective, the Nikolayeva
on Hyperion is a great match for me.  It's idiomatic, bleak as hell, and I
love it; the sound stage is just right also.  Her Melodiya set is a little
better played (technically) but the Hyperion sound wins me over.

Enter Ashkenazy.  He's provided fine sound by Decca, and his performance
is excellent, better than Jarrett's.  But, Nikolayeva gives me just what
I want from the set.

Don Satz