From:
Jan Templiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:57:17 +0100
Len Fehskens:

>Not all MP3s are equal.  The standard allows trading off fidelity for
>file size.  My understanding is it is possible from MP3 to approach CD
>quality, though most of what gets downloaded into those tiny players is
>of considerably poorer quality.

Of course you're correct, there is no such things as "quality of MP3",
as indeed the quality varies.  I do however want to point out that even
with standard bit-rates (it was either 128 or 192 kBit/s) the sound
quality is pretty excellent.

Jan

 [Or, even at the highest bit rate and least compression, it's
 still absolutely terrible.  All personal opinion and highly
 dependent on personal experience.  Now, let's get back to
 classical music topics, shall we?  -Dave]