From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:11:40 +0100
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>This probably isn't what you are looking for.  After you do find what you
>want, try The Planets performed on two pianos on Naxos 8.554369.  For me,
>it's very instructive to hear a big orchestral work performed as a chamber
>piece.  I'm sure this isn't the right way to put it, but I can hear the
>line of the music much more clearly.

I think it was first composed for two pianos.  This was because Holst had
a problem with his hands and so couldn't play it himself.  He therefore got
two of his assistants at the college/school he was teaching at to play it
for him.  I've got it in two piano form.  Mars and Neptune are fairly easy
once you get the 5/4 pulse, Venus is fairly easy too if you can play off
the beat for long periods and then get back on the beat instantly.  Mercury
is a b**ch, unsurprisingly.  He must have had a couple of decent pianists
to play it.

David Stewart