From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:57:31 +0000
I agree with Dave concerning reviews which are slanted toward describing
the composer and/or music while providing little comment on the actual
performances.  More than anything else, a recorded performance is being
reviewed, not the composer and music.

Ideally, I'd like to read reviews where composer and music descriptions
are made which lead into comments about how well the performer conveys the
elements of the reviewer's descriptions - sort of completes the circle.  I
may not agree with the reviewer's conclusions, but I'll fully understand
how the reviewer gets from point a to b.

Reviewing obscure works from obscure composers does present the reviewer
with a special set of circumstances.  Recorded alternatives will be minimal
or non-existent, and a greater dose of commentary about the composer and
music are called for.  So many times, I read a review where the 'type' of
music coming from the obscure composer is hardly mentioned by the reviewer;
I end up having no idea what style the composer employs.

Don Satz