From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:25:22 +0000
Laurence Sherwood writes:

>As I recall, when this subject was discussed a couple of years back,
>someone mentioned some excellent recordings on organ.  I guess I'm
>old enough to forget such things, so if anyone would care to mention
>some of the best organ recordings of this work, I'd be appreciative.

There actually aren't all that many organ recordings of AoF.  Of those
I am familiar with, most are not consistently engaging; this applies to
Alain on Erato, Fagius on BIS, and Koito on Temperaments.  Koito's version
is particularly powerful and coarse.

The best pick might well be the Tachezi on Teldec which is at mid-price.
However, this disc can be had for the tiny price of $4.64 from a
CDNow/Amazon sub. seller(like new - the disc, not the seller).

Personally, I go for Gould's Sony disc where he uses both a piano and
organ, although not at the same time.  His performance of the Unfinished
Fugue is both majestic and sublime.

Don Satz