From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:08:01 -0800
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Donald Clarke wrote in reply to my message about
Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini:

> So when you were in junior high school, Mimi, was it the Richard Hayman
> hit record on the radio (with Jerry Murad of the Harmonicats playing the
> theme) that sent you to the movie "Story of Three Loves" in 1953?

Nope.  I was ordinarily a wonk, and a musical one at that.  I never heard
the Hayman hit.  I still haven't.

> I've just discovered that William Kapell (With Fritz Reiner
> and the Robin Hood Dell Orch.) put Rachy's 18th variation out
> on a single that apparently reached the top 20 in the Billboard
> chart.  It charted about two weeks after Kapell was killed in
> a plane crash.

He died a few years before I got to Jr.  High school, but every year the
Philadelphia Orchestra at the Robin Hood Dell had a concert in his memory,
and I'm sure they must have performed the work a few times, too.
Philadelphia and Rachmaninoff had a long close relationship.

> PS: Are we dating ourselves, or what?

I'll never tell.

Mimi Ezust