From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:42:15 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>Yes, and I've been waiting for the major record companies to "fight back"
>by issuing their own super budget new release series and providing their
>new artists substantial promotional exposure.  This hasn't happened - these
>companies are such whimps.  They could well succeed, given their resources,
>and put Klaus on his back.  But, they evidently do not possess the pioneer
>or "kill" spirit.

My own view is that Polygram and CBS/Sony have conspired to rip us off over
the years.

Their re-issuing of 20+ year old material, where the artists are often
dead, at full price has been scandalous.

Great for their shareholders bad for classical music.

Remember folks that is costs only around 60 cents inclusive to produce each
cd these days.

Another moan is their policy of issuing material at full price then
re-issuing at medium price a year later then re-issuing at budget later
still.  This sucks.  How do they expect us to have any confidence? That's
one reason why I am loathe to purchase anything at all at full price.

Now Naxos, Brilliant, MP3, recordable CD and bootlegs are going to force a
price war and hopefully we will all benefit.

Bob Draper