From:
Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 12:07:35 +0200
Joe Hagedorn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So for good clarinet works we have Brahms, Briccialdi, Copland, Corigliano,
>Crusell, Finzi, Fuchs, Krommer, Mozart, Nielsen, Reicha, Stanford,
>Stravinsky and Weber? What CD's are worth picking up?

NAXOS, again, has some fine stuff.  Especially worht checking out is Finzi
Clarinetconcerto NAXOS 8.553566 and Crusell Clarinetconcertos Nos 1-3 NAXOS
554144S.

>Were the clarinets of Mozart's time very different from modern ones?

In Mozarts time, Clarinets were usually made of Birchtree (instead of
Buxbom) and had mostly only 2 keys.

>It seems like every time I turn on the radio they're playing one of Weber's
>Clarinet Works.  This seems a very strange coincidence to me because
>Weber's my favorite composer and the clarinet is my favorite insrument.
>Weber isn't a very popular composer any more either.  It seems he is most
>popular with other composers.  Wagner and Berlioz thought very highly of
>him.

I don't know if Weber is too underrrated.  His clarinet works are still
played, "Oberon" is still played and "Der Freischuetz" is still regarded
as to be Germanys national opera.  What more of importance has he done?

Andreas von Doebeln