From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:36:10 -0400
Thanh-Tam Le inquires:

>May I ask in which sense Sibelius' 7th lacks solidity?

In the sense described by my posting: the orchestra, a good one, didn't
seem to be able to cope, and Paavo J.  didn't seem to able guide it out
of its predicament.  At least so I felt--but also reported that the
Sueddeutsche Zeitung's professional critic did not make that point in his
review.The main trouble seemed to spook about the middle region of the
piece where the composition is exceedingly demanding (I went into that
previously).  Things sounded muddled, rather than subtly organized.  As it
was, the German audience responded more than just politely, but with not
nearly the enthusiasm it accorded the Bruckner.  Lest you take my account
as a signifier of the German national stance vis a vis Sibelius--if such
indeed there is--fact is, I can't even claim to be German.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]