From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:59:46 +0000
Many of you will be aware that next year is the 50th Anniversary of the
death of Sir Arnold Bax, one of our greatest British composers.

There is a suspicion that Nicholas Kenyon, Director of the BBC Proms,
is not planning to programme any part of Bax's major testament, the seven
symphonies. His personal indifference to Bax's music is well known, and
it may be that the plan is to sell Bax short by programming a single
performance of one of the well-known tone poems such as "Tintagel".

It is further suggested that the likely conductor of such a token piece
would not be a fervent Baxian, such as Vernon Handley, Mark Elder, Martyn
Brabbins, Leonard Slatkin, David Lloyd Jones or Sir Edward Downes.

I personally have written to Mr Kenyon, suggesting that one of the
symphonies ought to be programmed, preferably under one of these fine
conductors (No.2 with Handley would seem to me the Gold Standard choice,
especially given his upcoming cycle for BBC / Chandos, but you pays your
money and takes your choice).

There is a chance that we can make a difference even at this late date.
If anyone would like to join me and others on the Bax Discussion List,
in writing to Mr Kenyon to the effect that one of the Bax Symphonies at
least ought to be programmed in 2003, his address is as follows:

   Nicholas Kenyon
   Director, BBC Proms,
   British Broadcasting Corporation,
   Broadcasting House,
   Portland Place,
   London W1A 1AA
   United Kingdom

I feel sure that the more international the response, the more Mr Kenyon
is likely to sit up and take notice!

Christopher Webber,  Blackheath, London,  UK.
http://www.nashwan.demon.co.uk/zarzuela.htm
"ZARZUELA!"