From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:05:20 +1100
Constance Shacklock:

>I was listening, rapt, to Radio 3 yesterday (truly a good deed in a
>naughty world) when I heard a remarkable song cycle by Dvorak.  Now
>these songs were uttered in his beautiful native language, but despite
>my encroaching social deafness (which only afflicts me at parties and
>during exposure to Philip Glass) I quite clearly heard the announcer
>give the title as "In Folkestone, Opus 73".

Dvorak's Op 73 is a set of four songs.  Several references give the
title as "In Folk Tone".  The German title may well be "In Volkston",
as in Schumann's 5 Stucke in Volkston for cello and piano. Although
it's tempting to think that with a background in butchering, Dvorak may
have made an incognito visit to England in search of the secret of the
Great British Sausage, the truth is somewhat more mundane.

One of my first CM records was of overtures by Weber, so I was bewildered
when I listened on the radio to what I heard announced as Weber's Five
Pieces for Orchestra which were in a style completely different from the
overtures.  Fortunately, the presenter later said Anton von Webern.

Richard Pennycuick