From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:09:45 +0100
Bob Draper wrote:

>I believe that this is Mozart's misfortune and explains why he was such
>a bland and boring composer.  You see he had no option but to assimulate
>(copy) other composer's styles (just like Mendellsohn did), the child's
>mind is just not developed enough to be creative.

Without casting a single dispersion on anyone's opinion, I must say I have
been amazed and surprised since joining this list that some classical-music
lovers dislike Mozart so.  I've always thought since I was a kid the Mozart
*is* classical music.  I didn't think *anyone* disliked Mozart.  I've
learned that Mozart is a "bland and boring" composer who wrote "childish
melodies." Truly, I respect the opinions, but I am amazed.

I find it odd too that the one area to be praised of Mozart's output is
counterpoint.  I always thought people admired Bach for counterpoint, not
Mozart.  I thought Mozart's place in history was more for his gift for
capturing human emotion and communication with melody, tunes that define
civilization.  For his virtuosic, effortless, and uniquely innovative
command of harmony and structure that perfectly framed his melodic
creativity.  For his astounding genius of characterization in his operas,
perfectly aligning the musical composition with the character and meaning
of the story, and capturing his characters' thoughts, feelings,
psychological struggles, love, hate, fear so perfectly with the music that
no one could possibly question his absolute genius in expressing the human
condition through music.

Mozart was once described to my by a teacher as "too easy for amateurs,
too difficult for professionals" to play.  Perhaps the same is true from
a listener's perspective.  Too easy to dismiss as simple and childish,
too difficult for some to truly understand what his music and life mean
to humanity.

David Runnion
http://www.serafinotrio.com
Mallorca, Spain