From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:32:51 +0100
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>I am doing some reading on Liszt right now and realizing that my piano
>collection is small and my collection of other things is downright
>pitiful.  I'd welcome recomendations of discs that are essential.
>
>A more specific question. I have not heard too many good things about
>Leslie Howard's survey.  Perhaps that is why so many are available at
>low prices.  Which if any of these demand hearing either because of
>the performance or the repertory?

I can offer plenty of Liszt recommendations, but I think you have to
be more specific.  Howard has recorded something like 95 CDs in total.
Personally I think that he has found many little known gems.

As for Leslie Howard, I can recommend his recordings in general.
One or two reviewers in Gramophone seem to hold a grudge against the
Liszt/Howard recordings, but you should ignore these reviewers (I can
not remember their initials).  IMO they have lost their credability,
because I think they are way off the mark in their judgements.

You can mail me in private if you prefer that.

"Mikael Rasmusson" <[log in to unmask]>