From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:46:46 EDT
Maciej Dziekiewicz responds to Bernard Gregoire:

>I dont know where your information comes from but 4D from Deutche
>Gramophone means something completely different.  It describes the path of
>signal through microphone, stage box, A/D converter and recorder.  ...

Maciej is correct about the 4D process incorporated by DG which includes
an upgrading of the entire recording chain to reduce non-analog elements
in the chain.  I understand that the recorders DG is using apply extra 16
bit channels from from existing digital recorders in such a way to obtain
effective 20 bit or recording, thus enabling higher bit rates without
totally obsoleting current 16 bit recorders.  Their custom approach is non
standard and indeed costly.  Many audiophile recordings still use cost
effective equipment in combinations which their engineers maintain cannot
be distinguished from the outrageously expensive elements used by others.

In deference to the guidelines for this list I invite Maciej and others to
respond on a private message basis. Thanks for your continued interest.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA