From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:54:05 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I have Bach's Mass in B Minor by Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony
>Orchestra and Chamber Chorus on the Telarc label.  Any thoughts on this
>piece?

Well, I must say that you've really opened a can of worms here bud.  I
LOVE the B minor mass.   LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!  For that fellow list
member who is agianst using the word love to describe one's feelings for a
piece of music I will say it again......I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is quite
possibly the greatest piece of music ever written by anyone EVER!  I have no
reservations saying this.  The only hesitation I get is wondering about some
other Bach masterpieces.  The Art of Fugue is tough to beat.  I think I will
match them up by saying that the Art of Fugue is Bach's best instrumental
piece and the B minor mass is his greatest piece with voice/choir.
Darn...that means I have to leave off the motets.  Hmph!  Anyway, the Kyrie
is the greatest single movement of a choral work by anyone.  please remember
this is just my opinion.  I don;t want to be crucified by another list member
down the road and then have to explain myself.  OK, having said that, let me
continue.  Yes, the Kyrie is so incredibly profound.  It moves me in ways nothing else really can.  I love the solemn theme for the fugue and the grand opening chords.  I never tire of the Kyrie.  The Christe is also a beautiful piece. I love the wonderful opening with strings and the vocal writing is incredibly beautiful.  I just love that duet.  Ohh how I hate to skip some parts but I could NEVER fit all I WANT to say in this single posting.  I will leave other parts for other list members (Hope you're listening Don, Mimi).  Before I do that, though, I want to comment on a few more if I may.  A personal favorite of mine is the Laudamus Te.  I really love that
melody.  It is a favorite of my sister's too.  We always get a nice smile on
our faces when this movement begins.  I would like to comment on the
Crucifixus.  This pieces is a ground on a bass essentially very similar to
the ground used by Purcell in Dido's Lament from Dido and Aeneas.  I think
Bach does a superb job with the ground.  Truthfully, I don;t think there was
ever a composer as good with working on a ground as Purcell (he is my #2
composer), not even Bach himself.  Whew!!!!  "The mass in B minor, the
greatest piece of music ever written."  I feel totally comfortable saying
that, but then, Bach is my favorite composer so go figure.  Take it away Don,
I need to go crank up the Mass!

Wes Crone