From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:25:10 -0800
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes with enthusiasm about Jochum's Haydn
Symphonies "Clock" and "Surprise" on the DG Galleria series.

I have Jochum and the LSO performing Haydn's London Symphonies on DG's
four, medium priced, 4-CDs, box set.  I too find the performance sterling.
Although recorded in the 1970s also, the sound is remarkably fresh for DG.

Jochum has a way with phrasing Haydn that is matched only by Boult
(available in 4 mono CDs on EMI).  Haydn is the master of the symphony, and
Boult, Jochum, and Davis have a way of taking each work and drawing out the
phrasing and diction so that pablum doesn't ensue, unlike Marriner.  Drahos
on Naxos is a mixed bag.

Except for the Second Set, the four-set of four CDs each on Nimbus is not
bad, but again, like Marriner, the symphonies tend to melt into homophony
without the distinctive phrasing.  But the price is too enticing not buy
some of the "other" symphonies to listen to this Master's development of
the form.

Haydn doesn't have the indelible characteristic of a Mozart or Beethoven
which make it immediately known, but performed well, Haydn's symphonies
have brought me as much joy listening to a Master at his craft.

Stephen Heersink
San Francisco