From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:32:44 +0000
Todd Michel McComb wrote:

>Wes Crone writes:
>
>>Why are people suspicious of the HIP movement?
>
>As I attempted to describe previously, I perceive a certain dogma
>creeping in around the edges, especially from many casual listeners who
>seem to be building up ideas on how music "must" be.  Anything which starts
>to delineate how much *must* be is a negative influence, in my mind, and
>although HIP does not do this of its essence, the discussions necessarily
>linked to it seem to foster the idea among more artistically and
>philosophically naive individuals.  Ironically, the ultimate "naive"
>idea, i.e.  "I just like the way it sounds," suits me just fine.

The composer Steve Martland was talking about a piece by Bach (can't
remember what).  He said that he couldn't explain why he liked it.  The
commentator said "I expect you just like the way it sounds".  Martland was
affronted by this because of the implication that one has to be an expert
on music in order to justifiably enjoy it.

Of course this sort of snobbish attitude is exactly the reason why most
members of society prefer to inhale car fumes rather than listen to
classical music.

So, of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just 'liking the
sound' of a piece of music I, myself, am "guilty m'laud".

However, I still believe that modern peformances are dishonest and
give a false representation of the respective merits of a piece of music.
Composers who wrote well for the instruments of their day are particularly
prejudiced against.

When we hear a classical piece played by the full ensemble of the Vienna
Philharmonic what we are getting is something that is part composed by
composer X from 16 or 17 something and partly composed by conductor Y from
the 20thC.  Thus, this goes beyond interpretion.  It is rather like a pop
song being re-recorded by a new band with 'fairy dust' sprinkled on the
production.

At least when we hear the Stokovski version of Bach's (?) famous toccata
and fugue we know what we are getting; theme by Bach orchestrated
Stokovski.  More often then not performers are not so honest.

So when the layman in the street says "I like the sound of it" they are
expressing their right to an opinion.  But exactly what is it they like?
Unless the performance at least attempts at authenticity we can never be
sure.

Bob Draper