From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:04:44 PST
Thanks to Ron Chaplin for providing the classical recording nominations for
the Grammy Awards.  I've never thought well of the Grammys as they tend to
recognize the "mainstream" and the "popular".  But, it's always interesting
to read somebody else's list, although none of them can hold a candle to
mine.

This year's Grammy nominations look as usual, but I did take note of the
Solo Instrumental category and Perahia's nomination for his Sony recording
of Bach English Suites.  The past twelve months have been great for lovers
of Bach solo instrumental music: Hewitt's and Schepkin's WTC, von Dael's
and Podger's solo violin works, etc.  But, the Grammy folks go with the
relatively "white bread" interpretations of the well-known Perahia.  I have
a great deal of admiration for Perahia, but I don't think that Bach, at
least from his recordings, is one of Perahia's strengths (poetic, yes -
incisive, no).

Don Satz