From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:58:33 -0500
Geoffrey Gaskell wrote:

>Several composers have required the use of the greatest orchestra in
>numerical terms & I somehow doubt that their compositions would sound
>quite the same if the were tacked by the smallest orchestra instead.

This last summer our Chamber Music Center performed the Stein chamber
arrangement of Mahler's 4th!  This will probably sound odd to many, but
that version somehow gave me an insight into Mahler's world that I will
never forget.  It made even more sense to me.  I felt like I was sitting
in a cafe in Vienna.

Karl