From:
Matthew Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:47:07 +1000
Clement Lo wrote:

>As a matter of interest, my orchestra (Sydney University Symphony
>Orchestra) is playing a mandolin concerto written by the Australian
>Larry Sitsky.  It's a world premiere (written in 1998) and will be played
>at the University of Sydney Great Hall in October.

Clement, I would be interested to know who is the soloist.  The folks that
I play with in the mandolin ensemble probably know him/her and would be
interested to know of the event.  Let me know how it goes.

>I have read in a music dictionary of mine that Verdi and Mahler used
>the mandolin as an orchestral instrument but it is not exactly common.
>It doesn't tell me which works they are used in though.

 From what I have found:

Mahler  Symphony No 7
        Symphony No 8
        Das Lied von der Erde
Verdi   Falstaff (although many editions seem to have changed this to
        guitar).  I am not 100% certain of this so if anyone knows
        further I am most interested.  IIRC Otello is another.

In my previous post I also mentioned Donizetti, Prokofiev, Korngold,
Schoenberg and I omitted Webern and Respighi.

Donizetti       Don Pasquale (Same as for Falstaff)
Prokofiev       Romeo&Juliet (Actually this is for multiple mandolins.
                Dance of the Mandolins has four mandolin parts written
                with each part being doubled.  There is another part -
                Aubade- for two mandolins only)
Korngold        Die Tote Stadt
Schoenberg      Moses and Aron
Webern          I can't remember the exact piece but it is one of the
                orchestral pieces.  Perhaps Op.  10?
Respighi        Roman Festivals

If there are others I have yet to find them.  Some of these I found out
from reading in to the mandolin others have come to my attention because
I have been asked to play them (Respighi and Korngold especially).

Matthew Gillett