From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 10:31:08 PST
Simon Crouch wrote concerning the soprano Miah Persson:

>Persson strikes me as a good example of the sensible artistic choices
>that Suzuki is making.  She has a well controlled, pure voice and enough
>artistic sensibility to add ornament at the right place and with the right
>technical control....  I did a comparison with Schlick for Herreweghe in
>BWV 105.  Her voice is bigger and her performance tasteful, but I find the
>"always-on" vibrato a serious fault.  Perrson wins this one for me.

Persson wins for me also, but Schlick is a singer I have problems with.
Her voice, in addition to providing too much vibrato, always sounds to me
as if it is going to collapse.  Actually, I find both voices similar in
"color" and think that many other sopranos in Baroque music are better
(not interpretatively, but in pure tone).

These are my subjective observations.  Schlick has a fine reputation, and
Persson is developing one.  There are all types of singers for all tastes.
I do want to emphasize again that Persson did not detract from my enjoyment
of the disc one bit - just didn't add anything.

Don Satz