From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:58:19 +0200
I have not been following this thread very closely but Saint-Saens'
involvement with North Africa also lead to the <Suite Algerienne>, Op60.
(4 movs.  running nearly 20 mins., and entitled En vue d'Alger, Rapsodie
Mauresque, Reverie du soir & March Militaire Francaise).  Premiered at the
Chatelet Theatre in 1880 to an amazed and disconcerted audience.  The
second performance established its success.

It comes from Valois/Auvidis (V 4688) - I am playing it right now - by
the Monte Carlo Phil.  under the Californian born David Robertson.  The
remaining pieces, of a most interesting disc, are:  Javotte, Rapsodie
Bretonne & Andromaque (Ov.  & prelude Act IV).  The disc is certainly not
on sale in Algeria.

John G. Deacon   http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon