From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:06:30 -0800
Scott Morrison ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Godowsky: Piano Sonata in e; Passacaglia (44 variations, cadenza and
>fugue on the opening of Schubert's 'Unfinished' Symphony)
>
>Marc-Andre Hamelin, piano
>
>Hyperion CDA67300

Scott doesn't mention Hamelin's previous recording of the Passacaglia,
but then I'm not sure how well distributed this early 90s CBC disc was.

It would be interesting to compare, but the disc also included a number
of the studies after Chopin and MAH's complete set on Hyperion outclassed
the earlier handful in every way, so I'd be surprised if this doesn't
trump the earlier performance too.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)