From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:11:17 -0400
Bernard Gregoire wrote:

>Drew Capuder seems to forget that Mozart created CONTEMPORARY music in
>the 18th century.  The music of today will not be old stuff in the year
>2200.  Categories of music can be onerous and inappropriate descriptions.

Sorry, you pushed the big red button.  Mozart didn't create *anything*
except music in already created forms.  If you're going to assign it to
that era, say Haydn.  I think however, that the western art really started
with Bach, Telemann, and contemporaries.  They were the first generation of
the well-tempered tuning, and the first of the diatonic music.  But don't
say Mozart, he's a copy- cat of form (not his music--just the form of the
music).

Slightly agitated,
Joseph Sowa ([log in to unmask])