From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:10:46 -0800
Steve Schwartz, re the virtual absence of classical music on NPR:

>I think we have to blame several trends and people.

But Steve's several trends and people unaccountably omits NPR itself.
The fact is that the NPR system chose to eliminate CM and substitute
all-day chitchat.  In other parts of the world, entities like BBC,
CBC, Radio France, Radio Sverige, etc.  etc.  all maintain serious
CM programming.  So, the blame falls directly on the "people" who make
decisions at NPR, and, underneath them, the "trend" that has made public
broadcasting organized and FUNDED differently in the USA than in (other?)
civilized societies.

Cheers///

Jon Gallant                and                    Dr. Phage