From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 07:54:58 -0600
Jeff Dunn wrote:

>But what, Karl, are the other great performances of this killer cadenza--if
>any?

Re: Prokofiev Second Concerto

I have about twenty recordings of the concerto. Most are from broadcasts.
For me, there are two distinct approaches. Most seem to concentrate on
the brilliance: Ashkenazy-Kondrashin (when Ashkenazy was very young-an
issue which has appeared on several labels, mine is from a Period LP);
Ashkenazy-Bernstein (on a set from the NY Phil);Browning-Leinsdorf
(Victor); Frager (Victor), etc. A more romantic approach, highlighting
the drama...mostly from broadcasts I have: Scarpini-Mitropoulos (New
York Phil); Nissman-Skrowaczewski (from the 1970s)...the Henriot
Schweitzer-Munch (Victor) is more relaxed, has some of the drama, but,
for me, lacks the brilliance...she also takes a cut in the cadenza. I
can't pick just one, as there are times when I find value in a different
perspective.

The major disappointment for me was the Previn Ashkenazy set. Two excellent
musicians giving, what I find to be expertly played, beautifully balanced,
dull performances.

Pity BMG has not, to my knowledge, reissued the Browning-Leinsdorf
recordings.

Karl