From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:28:59 -0700
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Honestly now, haven't we yet gotten beyond this kind of non-creative,
>no-brainer 60's vintgage schlock? It insults my intelligence for a
>"composer, " no matter how famous to put his or her name on a notebook
>page of improvization instructions.  This simply isn't composing music.
>Rather, it's a set of gimmicks to convince a duped audience that they have
>just witnessed something marvelous.  These so-called composers (Oliveros
>and her ilk being the worst offenders) have been collecting perfectly good
>grant money for years to sit around and dream up the kind of crap that I
>and my fellow kindergartners created 35 years ago when we were given rhythm
>sticks and told to play some music.>>

Bravo!  I wouldn't condemn *all* of the '60s, but this simple dismissal
of "Oliveros and her ilk" is right on.  I tried and tried, attending scores
of New Music conferences and festivals, kept coming up empty, however hard
I tried to find some *music*.  This is the reason I get excessively
enthusiastic when I find something good in-between the "kindergartners."

Right now, for example, I am very much taken by Kurt Rohde's work, simply
because he composes music that communicates thoughts and feelings, instead
of music-as-noise.  Oliveros then and now gives me only pain.  Of course,
she, her ilk and supporters will tell you that something's really wrong
with you "not hearing" what's there.

Janos Gereben/SF