From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:41:12 PST
Ed Zubrow writes:

>Do you maintain a wish list for desired purchases or do you buy on
>impulse?

Both.  I do think of my list as more of a "buy" list, since I've already
considered the financial aspects before adding to the list.

>If you have a list, how many items are on it? How do you organize it (by
>composer, by genre, by period, etc.) and how frequently do you purge/update
>it?

I just organize the list chronologically; the most recent item added goes
to the bottom (utter simplicity).  The list gets updated/purged about twice
a week.  Two days ago I crossed out Andnes playing Haydn piano concertos -
I decided I could do just fine without them.  Currently, my list has 18
items; I don't allow it to get bigger than one handwritten page (I write
very small when needed).

Concerning the impulse buying, that's becoming quite variable.  I might go
for a few days of abstention followed by a few purchases over a two day
span.  Yesterday I bought three Bax cds followed by two Shostakovich today.
With Koroliov's Bach set having arrived in the mail three days ago, I feel
fully saturated and likely will give it a rest until those old urges well
up inside.  And I'm proud to say that I've already listened to the Bax cds
and Koroliov; I don't want to be one of those persons who buys but doesn't
listen.  If that ever happens, it's time for professional help.

Don Satz