From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:31:05 -0500
Don Satz wrote:

>If Stirling were to dispense with his customary negativity and
>rigidity, I think he would agree that different people do not have their
>creative "bursts" at the same time and under the same circumstances.
>That's all I was getting at.

But you still have not shown any evidence whatever that the artist
must feel the emotion which his art communicates, nor that the upwelling
of emotion is the unvarying sign of creation.  I have no doubt that
sometimes it is, and I have even less doubt that often it is not.
Sometimes an artist does realise that he is making something special,
sometimes a partiular mood is fertile for creation.  But just as often
great works have come about while the artist was simply working away,
making the best decisions availabel and guided by an insight which he
was, as yet, oblivious to.

Stirling S Newberry
Mp3s: http://www.mp3.com/ssn
War and Romance Radio: http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/8/war_and_romance.html