From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:56:06 -0600
Karl Miller wrote:

>I wonder, will we all download in the not too distant future?  I am
>reminded of the introduction of the self service gas...while at first
>one could save money using the self service pumps...

I really doubt that.  Frankly, as novel as downloading is, it's not
convenient.  First you have to pay for the download, then load it to
your computer, then transfer it to cd, and if it's classical, then you
have to find texts and program notes if you want them, etc etc.

Second, look at the market for cds from concert audiences.  One of our
major fund raising plans for The Helios Ensemble is to cut a disc next
year to sell at performances and from our website.  I can't imagine
people rushing to the lobby to buy our download after the show.

Third, face it, people like to collect things.  It's a sign of prestige
to have an impressive library or record collection or coin collection
or whatever.  As long as music is a status symbol, and it is, there will
be a medium for it that we buy and put on the shelves in our dens.

Kevin Sutton