From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:35:54 -0600
Yoel L. Arbeitman wrote:

>My question really concerns what composers are deemed equally great as
>both opera and symphonic composers.

Several come to mind...however, while their Symphonic music and Operas
might be equally great, their music might not be considered as being
"great."

Some of my favorites include:
Barber; Respighi; Rimsky Korsakov; Casella (I love his opera La Donna
Serpente); Britten; Sallinen; Kokkonen; Poulenc; Prokofiev; Rachmaninoff;
Hanson (one opera--Merry Mount, but I think it is terrific); Gruenberg
(his Emperor Jones needs to be performed again); Menotti; Herrmann
(Wuthering Heights needs to be produced); Shostakovich; Martinu; Ward;
Glass; Adams; Bristow?  (I wonder what his Rip Van Winkle sounds like);
Thomson; Moore; Still; Sessions; Ginastera; Dello Joio; Gershwin;
Bernstein; Henze; Delius; Bernd Alois Zimmermann; Berg; Schoenberg;
Absil; Amirov (his opera Sevil is lovely); Antheil; VaughanWilliams;
Janacek; Strauss; Stravinsky; Pizzetti; Fortner; Einem

Not favorites: Haydn; Mozart; Vivaldi...

Karl