From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 11:49:23 -0500
Koroliov is gradually traversing his way through Bach's solo keyboard
works.  Reviews in periodicals have been highly complimentary, and I take
no issue with them.  Any Bach recording by Koroliov certainly deserves
exploration.  His most recent recording offers the two and three part
inventions on Hanssler 92106.  For comparison, I used Gould on Sony and
Peter Serkin on RCA; both are excellent piano versions.

Koroliov holds up well to Gould and Serkin.  He is exciting in the faster
inventions, consistently finds the music's core and depth, and enjoys a
superb recorded sound.  Koroliov's performances are on the serious side
with reduced playfulness, an approach which might not be appreciated by
some listeners.  My feeling is that the music easily accomodates Koroliov's
more austere style which brings with it a greater degree of mystery and
depth.

This reduced playfulness is well displayed in the two-part inventions in E
major and B flat major.  At the same time, Koroliov gives these pieces a
mystery and poignancy which makes the readings distinctive.  The two-part
A major/minor inventions are good examples of the excitement Koroliov
generates with a high degree of musicality.

Koroliov continues his high level of performance in the three-part
inventions.  The E major and G major inventions are thrilling experiences.
The more melancholy and serious inventions are fully vested and idiomatic.
A delicious degree of playfulness even permeates Kroliov's performance of
the B flat major invention; the first few bars are transcendent.

Actually, Koroliov and Serkin share a common bond in the seriousness of
their interpretations, although Serkin is more poetic and Koroliov more
powerful and visceral.

Don's Conclusion:  Koroliov is a fine choice for a first version of the
Inventions on piano.  I do think that Gould and Serkin are more distinctive
than Koroliov; that could factor into the buying decison of a seasoned
collector who already has Gould and Serkin.  The basic consideration is
that each of these three recordings should provide great pleasure.

Don Satz