From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:37:47 -0600
From: Ron Chaplin

>On the back of the second volume of Violin Concerti, Op. 8, Stephen
>Preston is listed as playing "traverso" or the "traverso," I'm not sure
>which.  I tried surfing for the term, but could not find anything.  I would
>appreciate it if a list member who knows the definition would post it to
>the List.

"Traverso" (i.e., "sideways") is shorthand for the flute, as opposed to the
contemporary recorder, which of course is played "straight out".

>Also, I would like to know if anyone knows of a good dictionary
>or glossary on the web.

There are general dictionaries on the web, such as Webster's, I believe.
But as far as music dictionarlies go, I've always preferred books myself.
I have a copy of "The Harvard Dictionary of Music" which I find very
useful.  Others will recommend "The Oxford Disctionary of Music" or a
single-volume dictionary (the title of which escapes me) by the same
folks responsible for the multi-volume "Groves Dictionary of Music and
Musicians." Speaking of which...isn't there supposed to be new edition
of this coming out soon?

Mark K. Ehlert